Floods, once prevalent, have generally been brought under control by state and federal dams and other conservation measures. Massie Township was established October 10, 1850 and was named for General Nathaniel Massie who surveyed the area in 1792. Was camping grounds of Indians. Miller Subject: Ohio History, Local. The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. Salem Twp Taylorsville East end subdivision of Lebanon. The valley region of rolling plains in central Ohio has a diversified economic base.
Much of the United States was once part of Mexico, and Spanish explorers were among the first non-indigenous people to explore much of what is now the U. Among more than 150 species are , , , , and , while the dozens of species of include , , , , , , and. Harlan Twp Five Points At the junction of five roads in Clear Creek Township; it was a small settlement of school, blacksmith shop and homes. The region embracing the and river valleys of eastern Ohio and the valley in the south and southeast is predominantly rural. Later called Stubbtown from Stubbs mills located there. In its present form Muskingum, this river name has been in use among both Indians and whites for more than two centuries as another one of those terms of Indian-white travel-and-trade lingo, such as Ohio, Scioto, and others.
Formed from part of Salem Township it was named for George Harlan, an early settler. Deerfield Twp Kirkwood A Post Office was established here on July 27, 1829. Washington Twp Hageman Settlement named for Rev. Did the people who live nearby pronounce it Mouse Hole? More than 100 smaller public air facilities are scattered across the state. Please send us your unusual place name. Other than this is the shortest place name in Japan in both Japanese phonology and orthography.
Supposedly, once he had finished arranging the skulls, femurs, etc. As of , volunteers were at work dismantling and cleaning the pyramids of bones. The Indians considered the Allegheny and Ohio to be all one river. The largest components of the sector include wholesale and , government, real estate, finance, and health and social services. The valley region, in southwestern Ohio, is focused economically on and. In the early 1960s new oil and gas deposits were discovered, allowing a modest revival of the industry.
Salem Twp Mount Holly Named for Mount Holly, New Jersey; it was established July 1833 by Jacob Pearson with twenty-five lots. Made first Post Office April 1, 1804, with Samuel Heighway, Jr. Rabbit Hash, Kentucky According to popular legend, a flood in the 1840s drove hundreds of rabbits from the riverbank, and right into the stew pots of hungry settlers. Knights of Spain, Warriors of the Sun. From Alaska's Madre de Dios Island to Mexico, Maine, the United States is dotted with Spanish place names.
Le means lee in Norwegian. Idiotville, Oregon Idiotville is a ghost town and former logging community northwest of Portland. Chief is remembered for leading a battle against Spanish in southern Alabama in 1540. Place Names From Spanish Key West Florida — This may not look like a Spanish name, but it is in fact an anglicized version of the original Spanish name, Cayo Hueso, meaning Bone Key. Drainage The principal water sources are rain-fed streams, lakes, and reservoirs.
Wayne Twp Pleasant Plain Was called New Columbia and also called Plum Sock. Union Township was established January 3, 1815. White Day Glades Marion 1851-1857 Monongalia ante 1852 Whitehall Marion 1976 Whiteland Cove Monroe See Maple Lawn Whiteland Monroe White Oak Raleigh 1967 White Oak Wood Became Volcano After 1879? Others believe he named it for the area's lush flowers. The names of Twin Creek, First Creek and Second Creek, as well as Flat Fork seem justified. George Tucker County West Fairfield Kanawha 1911 Westfield Lewis 1815-1935 County Seat Before Weston West Fork Boone 1854 West Fork Wirt 1868-1920 West Fork Harrison 1920-1935 West Fork Junction Mercer 1911-1920 West Grafton Taylor 1882-1935 West Hamlin Lincoln 1907 West Huntington Cabell 1920 Wayne? Waldeck Braxton 1907-1920 Waldeck Lewis 1976 Waldingfield Kanawha 1870-1879 Waldo Harrrison 1920 Waldo Putnam 1882-1935 Walgrove Kanawha 1918 Walker Randolph 1935 Walker s Wood 1935 Walker's Crossing Wood 1911-1935 Walkers Landing Putnam 1920 See Poca 1894 Walkers Meadows Greenbrier 1823-1833 Walkersville Lewis 1870 Also Slabtown Wallace Harrison 1852 Wallace Kanawha 1909 Wallback Clay 1911 Walnut Calhoun 1907 Walnut Bottom Hardy 1967 Walnut Grove Calhoun 1976 Walnut Grove Kanawha 1830-1911 Walnut Grove Roane 1882 Walther Tucker 1907-1920 Walton Cabell 1894-1911 Walton Kanawha 1845-1849? Deerfield Twp Maineville First called Yankeetown.
Both words signify the fine or fair river. That innate talent for music him a scholarship at the Royal Academy of Music in London at age 11. Deerfield Twp Pekin Small cross roads settlement, established as post office December 8, 1874 with David W. Harlan Twp Millgrove Millgrove was settled early in the present century on the Little Miami River. This is a and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness.
The pattern of its life is so representative of the country as a whole that it is often used to test attitudes, ideas, and commercial products. Turtlecreek Twp Fort Ancient Mound builder area built as a fort on top of hill in prehistoric days. Deerfield Twp Browns Store Was Established as a Post Office on August 21, 1841, with Samuel Brown named Postmaster. The valley region in north-central Ohio is basically agricultural, though the small cities of , Galion, and Bucyrus have some manufacturing. Dayton has since become home to the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, both a testing and a commercial aviation centre. Place Name Description Township Beech Grove Named for a large Beech Grove where a Freewill Baptist Church was established in 1849.